Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Today I Celebrate the Day My Oldest Son Was Born

13 years ago today, my oldest son was born.  He was a bouncing 8 lbs. 2 oz. 20 & 1/2 inches long.  He reminded us all of a "little papoose" as his Native American ancestry really showed through.  He gets part Inuit from me and Choctaw from his dad, he is also part African American and many European American ethnicities. 

He is an extremely intelligent, kind, considerate, and handsome young man.  He also deals with Attention Deficit Disorder and a speech impairment known as stuttering. 

I become concerned at times that because of his stuttering people may think he is dumb.  He is far from it, in fact he wants to work for NASA.  Learning to articulate his words effectively is difficult for him, but he has an incredible perseverance that I know will help him as he grows. 

He recently learned that James Earl Jones and Vice President Joe Biden overcame stuttering and went on to become successful.  He is a big Star Wars fan so to find out that the voice of Darth Vader once was like his, helped to boost his self-esteem.

I think it is wonderful that people in the position of power, be it celebrity or in the public eye to some degree, are open about things like this. 

Children are so impressionable and they learn by the models of behavior they see around them.  To know that he can overcome this deficit, something that causes him embarrassment and shyness, has given him a new sense of strength.

As he continues to grow up I can only work to be the best mother I can be, support him in his efforts, and just love him for who he is.  I am incredibly proud of him and I know he will go on to do great things.

Is there anything you have had to overcome in your life that has made you stronger?

2 comments: