Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why I Would Love to Work in Psychiatric Nursing

During my last semester, I spent my Advanced Practicum in the Mental Health setting.  I found it personally fulfilling as well as a more comfortable experience than the hectic atmosphere of a Medical/Surgical unit.  I had been told by nurses I worked with on medical floors that they never had a chance to really talk with their patients.  I got in this field to make a bigger difference than that and with shorter hospital stays and more responsibilities being given to nurses on the floor, I see being a positive change in the personal lives of patients less likely in a medical hospital setting.  I think about how I had my first child and that I don't remember any of the nurses who cared for me in the hospital, but I do remember the visiting nurse and the advice and help she gave me all those 13 years ago. 

I believe Gandhi said it best, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."  I deeply want to work with adolescents and children.  I firmly believe children react to their surroundings and are not "bad" inherently.  I see these children growing up into adults who never got the help they needed and were never able to cope with whatever trauma fate had handed them.  I always said if an adult in my life had stepped in sooner things may have been different.  See I was a teen mom who just was looking for love like most people, just far too young and without the proper role modeling at home.  Things precipitated those actions and events and I feel  if I can help empower and embolden people to take control of their lives, realize they are worth only the best, and help them make better decisions for their lives, I will have fulfilled my purpose. 

Nursing is not just about following through with doctor's orders, nursing is about caring for the individual that  has been entrusted to your care on a physical, emotional, and psychological level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment